[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 2 15:23:44 UTC 2009

On 07/02/2009 01:52 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/7/2 Michael T. Dean:
>> I completely disagree.  Sport and news broadcasts should also be recorded.
>>  "But," people say, "It makes no sense to record the news--it's not like
>> I'll care about it next week."  Well, do you schedule your life so that you
>> can start LiveTV exactly when the news show you like comes on?  Then why not
>> schedule MythTV to record your favorite news show(s).  "But then I'll have
>> to delete the old shows!"  No, that's why Myth has the options allowing you
>>
> [great (and very entertaining) post snipped]
>
> I really enjoyed reading your post here...
>
> What I'm guessing here is that the reason you don't see the same way
> other people are seeing things (including myself) is that you don't
> have kids ...
>
> Maybe I'm too old (36) but I can not remember the last time I had the
> chance to plan to sit down and watch a recordings I had made earlier.
> When I did configure MythTV to record specific shows exactly like you
> describe I found that:
> 1- it takes forever to go through all the programs and decide what is
> it I'd like to watch, and mainly, what is it my wife would like to
> watch (she will never be able to get through all the recording
> options)
> 2- When I did make up all those recordings, I just never got the time
> to sit down and watch them.
>
> Yes, I admit, I am now a passive tv watcher. and I often watch what's
> on. Stuff I wouldn't have recorded anyway because I didn't know about
> it or because looking at the TV guide, it didn't seem that great ; but
> in the end turned out to be great show.
>
> We have a few channels with very little ads there, no ads to skip. and
> if there are, I've been interrupted enough to be about 1 hour late on
> the program so I can fast forward quickly.
>
> I like the ability to do stuff in my living room, playing with my kid
> or cooking with the TV running in the background and if I hear
> something I find interesting then I watch.
>
> But the time I used to have the chance to sit down, and watch TV
> without being interrupted, is long gone.
>
> And finally, that you don't see why people like to use LiveTV, is
> probably the best reason for you not to tell them that they shouldn't
> use it.

That's what I meant by, "The hardest part of getting to that point is
learning not to feel guilty when you delete some show (or 50 episodes of
a show--been there; done that; sorry DirecTV) when you decide you don't
want to watch it."  You can still tell Myth to record things (and allow
them to be autoexpired) /even/ if you don't know for sure you'll have
time to watch them.

I can't, however, help you out with the problem that it takes too long
to decide what to watch.  Though, with things like the Watch List and
well-designed recording group usage (and filtering), it should take a
/lot/ less time than channel surfing to something that's good enough.
Though I do admit that even for me--a guy without kids--choosing what to
watch from the 900-some recordings I have (and I'm a watch & delete guy)
takes more effort than just hitting the LiveTV button and watching
whatever the network feeds me...  :)

Mike