[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 2 06:35:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009 02:21:51 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > That would probably be more optimal. As they say, "patches welcome!" ;)
> >
> I suspect the real answer is that Myth's scheduler just isn't very
> agile.  I've noticed when I add a new show it takes a minute or two for
> the scheduler to add it to the upcoming recordings list, so it probably
> just can't reschedule fast enough to cope with that kind of situation.

Don't know the scheduler code at all myself, but in head its like this:

You rarely add a recording seconds before it starts, so the scheduler
can be lazy, only periodically checking if there's new stuff to get
scheduled. Otherwise, we're polling constantly for almost no reason.
The actual act of rescheduling can be done plenty fast, once we know
there's something to reschedule, I believe.

A "reschedule immediate[*] recordings NOW" interface might be a nice
addition (might already exist and just need more wiring, I dunno).

[*] immediate ~= in the next hour or so

> This also poses problems for joining something "in progress" without
> LiveTV.  I don't think the scheduler will start a recording on a show
> that's already started; I think it will always try to wait for the next
> showing.

By default, yes, I believe that is the case. But you can override it
and tell it to record anyway.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com