[mythtv-users] The $99 frontend is here. Is this too good to be true?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 2 04:23:40 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 23:32:39 Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> WAF?  Good for myth.  Bad for media, especially trying to get VDPAU to work
> causing DVD ISOs to die and general instability on the frontend.

Let me just point something out...

The VDPAU code is still relatively new, and only (officially) in the
development branch of MythTV. Its still being twiddled almost daily.

And VDPAU for DVD playback? Why?!?

Note that I have yet to bother jumping on the VDPAU band-wagon, so
perhaps I'm missing out on something, but last time I used an nVidia
card in a Myth box, it could handle even HDTV recordings w/o the
cpu even scaling up from its minimum frequency. Oh, and all my boxes
have been pretty much rock-solid running VDPAU-less svn trunk for ages.
Hell, even my Atom N270 and Atom 330 systems w/gma 950 graphics can
*almost* do HDTV fine, so anything better than an EPIA w/an nVidia
card should be more than fine w/o VDPAU for playback of everything
but h.264, I would think...

Moral of the story: VDPAU still development code, and not a magic
bullet (yet). Don't expect miracles. Play with fire, get burned. Etc.

/me really needs to replace his D945GCLF2 w/an Atom 330 Ion or
something and find out what he's really missing...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com