[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Philip Nourse pjn at pobox.com
Wed Jul 1 20:38:21 UTC 2009

If MythTV was just a DVR, I wouldn't use it.  In my opinion, MythTV is
intended to be a Media Center PC, amalgamating several different inputs and
TV watching options into one convenient unit.  Most of us have at least one
channel surfer in the family, and they are OK too.

As for the recording issue:  MythTV records based on a priority system.  If
you are watching Live TV on one tuner, and MyhtTV determines that tuner has
the highest priority for recording the show, that is the one it will use.
The priority system is based on how you set up the scheduling for the
recording, and what priority you have given to the tuner. As far as I know,
if you tell it to record later, and the other tuner you are talking about
has an equal, or higher priority to any of the later recording options, it
will record on the other tuner in the original time.  So "Record the
scheduled show later" really means "don't record the scheduled show now on
this tuner". You will want to try this out though to be sure as since I am a
more of a DVR user rather than a channel surfer, I have never experimented
with this scenario.  I have a total of 5 simultaneous tuners, and I have not
seen this message in about a year.