[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 1 16:38:21 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 10:04:56 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On 07/01/2009 10:30 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I could spend $400 if I had to, but lately it seems I have more fun
> > "eking out an extra 1% by optimizing the bejeesus" out of older hardware.
>
> There's definitely something to be said for that if it interests you and
> you have the time for it.

Well I'm retired, so I have the time.

> > It's better for the planet as well, the number of older systems that are
> > going into landfills is staggering, and these machines are fully capable
> > of performing useful functions.
>
> I give my old stuff to needing/wanting members of the local LUG.

I have donated a lot of machines to our local Community College, they give
them to students who can't afford them. Most of our local LUG members have
better stuff than I do (many of the members work for HP, Agilent and other
high-tech outfits on the Colorado front range).

> > With the advent of cloud-based browser-centric computing, the era of
> > continuous upgrade cycles is, hopefully, coming to an end.
>
> Agreed. But I'm sure Microsoft will come up with a reason why it can't.
> For the record, I still use my ~4 year old dual opteron 252 w/8G of RAM
> as my primary workstation and a ~2.5 year old core 2 quad as my mythtv
> backend. My ~7 year old PowerMac G4 tower still gets plenty of use, as
> does my ~5 year old PowerBook G4, so I'm not *all* about shiny and new...
> :)

Notice how MS is trying its best to stop Linux on the Netbooks (running ads
that talk about Windows netbooks as "the OS you know").

I do "know" it, and that's the reason I avoid it like the plague.

You can pick up Opteron 275s for around $60, if you want to upgrade that dual
252 machine relatively cheaply. I'm trying to find a pair of 285s or 290s,
but they are just too pricey, when you can find them.

I love my PB G4 (running Linux, of course). I think those were the pinnacle of
the Apple notebook line, follow on units just had feature and size/weight
bloat. For some perverse reason I like running non-Intel CPUs, I have a
couple of Alphas, some MIPS, ARM and other "exotic" machines.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org