[mythtv-users] The $99 frontend is here. Is this too good to be true?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 1 16:26:47 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 09:56:01 Michael Cook wrote:
> Michael Cook <waxrat at comcast.net> writes:
> > "Steve Peters - Priority Electronics" <steve at priorityelectronics.com>
writes:
> >> The following link is a company on ebay selling a 1.8ghz Pentium M
> >> system with 1gb ram and 2gb compact flash memory for the hard drive in a
> >> complete mini itx system that measures 13" by 11" by 3" and it's all
> >> only $99 with free shipping....Includes power supply and everything.
> >>
> >> What am I missing here. How is this company to do this for only $99.00?
> >> Or is this the best deal you ever heard of? They seem to have very good
> >> ebay reviews.
> >>
> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-1-8GHz-iGoLogic-i3368G-LF-CPU-HTPC-Computer
> >>_W0QQitemZ220354063431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item22035406343
> >>1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13
> >>18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
> >
> > FYI, mine arrived yesterday.
>
> It died a few days ago.
> After only 20 weeks.
> The seller only said, "sorry".

I'm getting "invalid item" when I try and follow that link.

But that price is not too surprising if it's a used/refurbished unit with a
30-day or even just a DOA warranty. It's probably off-lease and was used as a
thin client.

I recall paying a similar price for a "U-Buddy", a similar device with a VIA
C2 Samuel a couple of years back. I had to add my own HDD, and it came with
256MB of RAM, but RAM is cheaper today.

More modern units sold as thin clients are selling for not too much more than
that, but new with a 1-year warranty.

It couldn't handle HD, but it might be a reasonable F/E for SD only.

I've played with some "thin clients" and they work OK for SD, but until we
start seeing ION units, HD is out of reach in that price range.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org