[mythtv-users] Core 2 Duo iMac, terrible performance as front end

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Sat Jan 31 22:47:32 UTC 2009

> Dave, just to be clear, you mean:
>
> Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback (Page 2/10)
>
> and change both Vertical Scaling and Horizontal Scaling?  I know I've tried this before but when I can pry the kids away from the Wii, I'm going to have another go.

Yep, I change both of those to non zero values, watch a recording or
live tv, then change then back to 0 and everything works.  Not sure why.
> I've never had as good playback with .21-fixes as I had with .20.2.  I have two Mac Minis running OS X for Myth.  The frontend/backend is connected a Sony LCD projection set and to an A/V receiver using digital audio.  The other mini is a frontend only connected to a computer monitor and using analog audio.  For a description of the problems on the frontend/backend, see:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5552
>
> Todd Ignasiak posted earlier that he had good success with:
> Decoder: Standard
> Video renderer: quartz-blit
> OSD Renderer: softblend
>
> What deinterlacers are you using (primary/secondary)?
>
> While I'm at it, here are the Mac specific settings (pages 9/10 of the above group):
>
> Enable gamma correction for video:  Off
> Scale video as necessary:  On
> Frames to skip in fullscreen mode: 0
> Video in main window:  On
>   Frames to skip: 0
>   Opacity:  100
> Video in floating window: Off
> Video on the dock:  Off
> Video on the desktop:  Off
>
> These are good, right?

The only difference I have from yours is that I have Video on the dock:
On with Frames to Skip set to 3.

On page 3/10, I'm using CPU+ for my playback profile, even though I'll
bet most of those settings aren't applicable, (XvMC, XVideo, etc.)