[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Sat Jan 31 18:42:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

I like many others are very interested in vdpau.  It is great how much
effort has already gone into getting it to work.

So, I have been reading all the mythtv threads, the nvidia forum and am
still terribly confused about how to choose the "right" card.

I am looking for the perfect card(s) and I am not convinced they exist.

Having VC-1 playback is a feature I REALLY want.  It appears the only
way to get this is using a card with the g98 core, but it is often very
difficult to tell what core a card has.  Is there some sort of cheat sheet?

There are some other nice to haves as well such as: fanless, low
profile, 2x deinterlacing, and HDMI ( with audio ).

Looking around, I haven't found the magical card.

I have a couple different scenarios:

Living room frontend: this is a short case and requires the use of a low
profile card.  It looks like a 8400GS is about the only card I can find
that is low profile and supports VC-1.  It does have a fan, but I
haven't found any low profile cards without one ( and g98 ).  I
understand the 8400GS has enough horse power for 1x deinterlacing, but
not 2x.

Backend: Here I would really like HDMI w/audio in this case.  I was
looking at the 9xxx series assuming these would have the horse power for
2x deinterlacing, but I don't see any cards that support vc-1 and hdmi
w/audio.

So, does there exist a card that can do 2x interlacing, fanless, vc-1
support, with hdmi audio?  Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

If it existed, I would buy 3 immediately :)

Heck, I might even be willing to buy a new motherboard if I could find
these features on an integrated setup.

Michael