[mythtv-users] VDPAU field report

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 08:42:46 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/31 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
> The above holds only for the first playback. Once exiting, all
> subsequent playbacks until telinit 3/rmmod nvidia/telinit 5 skip
> continuously, regardless of Advanced/Temporal 1x/2x
> (<URL:http://pastebin.com/d3303f5dd>). Bob 2x is relatively
> OK. Switching between RTC and OpenGL vertical sync does not change
> this behavior.

Few people have reported that with a 8400gs, after around 10 minutes
they can't use Advanced/Temporal deinterlacer any longer.

I haven't experienced this issue with either a 9400GT or a 8600GT.
I've bought a 8400gs on my development machine to test VC1 decoding ;
but I haven't watched long enough to actually notice anything ; plus
I've been unable to use either Advanced or Temporal with this video
card: it's not smooth at all...

I'm afraid this card doesn't have the horsepower to handle such
advanced deinterlacer.

IT's perfect with either the 9400 or the 8600

> 2. A more serious issue is that I can reliably hang the frontend by,
> during playback, bringing up Program Finder, Program Guide, or
> Upcoming Recordings. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does not work and any SSH
> session into the frontend hangs too. Magic SysRq does work,
> fortunately.

Are you running a special theme? which theme are you using?

Can you give me the keypress sequence you are using to make it crash?

Personally, I haven't been able to reproduce this problem ; program
guide shows up just fine...

Would normally during the program guide , the current PiP TV program
appear? I haven't merged any of the PiP code from trunk with VDPAU as
it relies on a complete new framework introduced not long ago in
mythtv, and it was likely I was going to break things...

One mine, during the program guide, the channel doesn't show... That's
the only issue I can think of.

In any case, for mythtv to hang your PC, something is wrong, probably
in the drivers.

Did you try with the 180.27 version?

> 3. A third, minor, peculiarity is that VDPAU output does not seem to
> be affected by my specified gamma settings, whether in xorg.conf or in
> nvidia-settings, so the video is far too dark for my tastes. I'm
> probably missing something obvious here. Possibly related to this is
> that the OSD font using VDPAU is much smaller than without. (Both the
> gamma font issues correct themselves once I switch back to xv-blit
> without restarting mythfrontend, so it's not that I accidentally
> deleted xorg.conf or something.)

That I can't comment on, I have no experience on it...
colorkey was disabled in earlier version of the VDPAU , but I didn't
publish those...

Still, that's not something I'm interested in, the best person to
answer that question would be Mark Kendall

> Because of issue 2, I've reverted to xv-blit output for the time
> being. (One interesting change here is that with the 8400GS I must use
> OpenGL vertical sync to avoid stutter with Bob; RTC does not suffice,
> as it did with a 6200TC, or 7300LE [even with 180.22]. I hope I won't
> run into the issue I describe at

sorry to hear that...

I've been using VDPAU exclusively for over a week now, not a single
issue nor a crash..

Jean-Yves