[mythtv-users] Core 2 Duo iMac, terrible performance as front end

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Fri Jan 30 23:09:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Todd Ignasiak <todd.ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>>>

>>>     The AppleTV (nv based) and the Mini (Intel based) both seem to do
>>> well enough. I quickly dumped ATI after using it on my first dedicated
>>> frontend and will never use their stuff again.
>>>

>> So it's an ATI driver issue? Anything I can do? It seems a real shame that a
>> pretty beefy machine like this can't push HD or even SD, when my less
>> powerful Macbook laptop could render them just fine. I suppose I could
>> install Ubuntu on it, I wonder if I can wedge it into my NTFS Windows 7
>> partition via Wubi...
>
> I don't think it is related to the video chipset.  Regardless of the
> video chip, Mac OS X is not benefitting much from any sort of
> acceleration/offload (as opposed to XvMC or VDPAU on Linux or DxVA on
> Windows).  In Mac OS X, it's just doing software decoding.
>
> I have tested HD video on my parents' 2.4GHz 24" iMac with ATI, and it
> worked fine.   My primary frontend is a CoreDuo 1.66GHz Mac Mini with
> Intel Integrated graphics, and it works fine with 1080i HD.
>
> I would first double check the video decoder settings.  The default
> settings are decent Linux options, but not good Mac options.    On my
> mini, I have one entry for all resolutions,
> Decoder: Standard
> Video Renderer: quartz-blit
> OSD Renderer: softblend

I know I got the OS X frontend to work pretty well on my hackintosh
msi wind by using the mac acceleration option. I think it was marked
experimental or something but it worked really well and can almost
play 1080i content back on an atom rocking integrated intel video. I
would assume apple's got the ATI stuff working pretty well so I would
assume this setting would work well for you. There is always the
chance that I dreamed the entire experience... but I'm pretty sure its
there at least in whatever frontend binary I downloaded.