[mythtv-users] Core 2 Duo iMac, terrible performance as front end

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jan 30 16:01:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42:42AM -0500, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>

> >      The AppleTV (nv based) and the Mini (Intel based) both seem to do
> > well enough. I quickly dumped ATI after using it on my first dedicated
> > frontend and will never use their stuff again.
> >

> So it's an ATI driver issue? Anything I can do? It seems a real shame that a
> pretty beefy machine like this can't push HD or even SD, when my less
> powerful Macbook laptop could render them just fine. I suppose I could

    Well, depending on what video chipset is in the laptop it could be
much better suited to playing video. The chipset in Apple's current "cheap"
laptop supports full hardware acceleration of h264 playback (HD even) under
Linux.

    For MacOS, I wouldn't expect ATI to be quite so bad but you can never tell.