[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:49:25 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/30 Warpme <warpme at o2.pl>:
> Jean-Yves,
>
> Really excellent work.
> Patch  working very well.

Thanks. great to know

> I have 1 question: how much ffmpeg in  0.21-fixes is older than in trunk ?

I can't say for sure ... But it is older for sure.

> Why I'm asking: Few weeks ago I was testing trunk - and I remember that at
> that time my H264 based HD movies were really nicely played by trunk (I
> remember at that time myth was better than mplyer).
> Now (with 0.21-fixes + vdpau) I experience rather poor playback quality in
> myth (almost any movie has artifacts every few sec).

Have you tried the original 0.21-fixes without the patches ?

Try also using the mythtv player standalone player... For people with
video card with low memory < 512MB they have reported problem on the
nvidia forum. Seems that 512MB is a minimum for most VDPAU use.

I found that the artifacts often came from the deinterlacer. I'm not
sure if mplayer uses any.. This could explain the difference

> mplayer however plays all movies very nicely.

I've had a few movies that play in mplayer with VDPAU correctly, but
not in mythtv...
They didn't play in trunk either (but different behaviour: the sound
was just loud white noise)

VDPAU while getting very good quickly, is still a work in progress...
hopefully, now that it's available in 0.21, more people will be able
to identify issues and report them (hoping that the dev will look at
those reports)

> Q is: Is my issue related to older ffmpeg in 0.21 or rather my build
> environment is somehow broken ?
> SD based mpeg2 TV plays OK. Also I didn't discover any instabilities or
> malfunctions in my patched 0.21..
>
> Sys is:
> 0.21-fixes 19778 + Your patch
> Nv 180.27
> kernel 2.6.28.2
> mplayer:ffmpeg 28207.16380
> video GS8400 512M
>
> thanx in advance
>
> BTW: which HW deinterlacer is in Your opinion best one ?

I use Advanced 2X for SD content, and Advanced 1X for HD.. Looks great.
When I looked very closely, I could see some slight artefacts with
Temporal that weren't there with Advanced

Cheers
Jean-Yves