[mythtv-users] Cheapest MacBook now VDPAU-compatible

Douglas Mayle dmayle at dmayle.com
Wed Jan 28 21:58:37 UTC 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Steven Adeff
> <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>>> January 2005 17" PowerBook was the first Mac laptop to have built-
>>> in optical
>>> audio and I believe every one since then has had it. So you either
>>> asked
>>> before 2005 or the "Genius" was wrong.
>>
>> ah, it was definitely before 2005!
>
> so I decided to go to the web page for the new Macbooks, looks like
> they have mini-DisplayPort, *not* mini-DVI, there is a *big*
> difference!!
>
> Does anyone know if the Macbook mini-displayport connector/nvidia
> chipset is capable of multichannel LPCM output (regardless of where it
> was obtained from)?
This isn't quite answering your question, but while DisplayPort
supports it, even if the Mac sends audio over those lines, (which is
probable, given the apple cinema display's speakers) there isn't
currently an adaptor that carries the audio lines out in any format
(the only mini-display port adapters on the market are for vga or dvi)