[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: NVidia drivers and Ubuntu

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed Jan 28 21:52:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:28:46PM -0800, Michael Tiller wrote:
> I installed the 180.22 drivers from NVidia to be able to use VDPAU.  On that count, everything was a success (quite amazing, in fact).
>
> The problem (and I've had the same problem before) is that I downloaded the NVidia drivers from their web site.  The installation is basically just running an executable shell script which builds and installs things.
>
> The problem is that it messes things up.  I think it is an interaction with Ubuntu's "normal" way of installing the drivers.  The issue is not that the drivers don't work but that the kernel modules don't seem to load properly on reboot.
>
> Question #1: Are the newer (VDPAU) drivers available under Ubuntu?  If so, what is the procedure to get them (apt-get install nvidia-settings?!?)

180.22 is available in Jaunty, and there's a bug filed to get it into
intrepid-updates.  See
   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180
   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180
   and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/315169

180.25, which was released Monday, is not yet in the repositories as far as
I can tell.

> Question #2: If the answer to #1 is yes, what is the proper way to uninstall the ones I downloaded from NVidia?

Run "nvidia-uninstall" (or "nvidia-installer --uninstall" for older
drivers.