[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: NVidia drivers and Ubuntu

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:28:46 UTC 2009

I installed the 180.22 drivers from NVidia to be able to use VDPAU.  On that
count, everything was a success (quite amazing, in fact).

The problem (and I've had the same problem before) is that I downloaded the
NVidia drivers from their web site.  The installation is basically just
running an executable shell script which builds and installs things.

The problem is that it messes things up.  I think it is an interaction with
Ubuntu's "normal" way of installing the drivers.  The issue is not that the
drivers don't work but that the kernel modules don't seem to load properly
on reboot.

Question #1: Are the newer (VDPAU) drivers available under Ubuntu?  If so,
what is the procedure to get them (apt-get install nvidia-settings?!?)

Question #2: If the answer to #1 is yes, what is the proper way to uninstall
the ones I downloaded from NVidia?

Thanks for any help.

--
Mike