[mythtv-users] Underground vs. Overhead Utilities

Peter A. Daly petedaly at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 20:42:02 UTC 2009

> As far as an individual you are correct.
>
> But in a lot of cases the utility installation costs are passed to the
> developer, and if he is building 600 homes, he is likely to opt for the
> overhead option.

FWIW - I don't entirely know what I'm talking about on this topic, but
given that disclaimer...

We just had a house built in a new development, and my understanding
is underground utilities was mandated for reliability reasons.  I live
in an area where thunderstorms are common in the summer, and winter
has been known to bring an ice storm or two each year.

Thunder storms are such as problem that the local power company has
invested in a lightning tracking system that can track lightning
string down to the street level, as I understand it, to help locate
"blown" equipment.  (One of the TV stations can tap into it real-time,
which is pretty cool to see.)  I don't know if systems like that are
common or not, but either way it's an indication of the scope of the
problem.

-Pete
MythPVR.com