[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 28 19:35:43 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 11:47:06 Marc Feldman wrote:

> Of course, there is working and there is "working".
> I am trying to tweak an Acer Aspire One as a combined FE/BE  with a
> Hauppauge HVR-950 for over-the-air digital and HD.  HD files play fine
> outside Myth, but the internal player sputters and goes out of sync.  I
> will continue doing my homework and trying to make the most of the on-board
> Intel graphics.  Once I think I have gotten things as good as I can, I
> would be happy to add to the wiki.

Interesting. I have one of those Aspire Ones, but I never even thought about
using it for Myth, or any part of Myth. I just assumed it was too
underpowered.

I assume this is one of the Atom-powered units?

I also have an Eee 900, I thought about possibly using it as an SD frontend,
but for now I just watch files from an SD card or a flash stick.

If you do make a WiKi entry, would you please post a note here to that effect?
Thanks.

> I wonder, is there any standard way of testing a MythTV set-up to determine
> how well it is working?  It would be great if there were some way at
> looking at smoothness, sync., tearing, etc.

Hard to say. I have noticed that artifacts that some consider acceptable are
thought of as "totally unusable" by others. The only real test is to use it
yourself and see if you are satisfied. "Working" is just too subjective a
term and there are far too many variables.

Some people are OK with having to transcode, for example, while others
consider that not acceptable. Some worry all the time about LiveTV, while
others never use it.

--
beww
beww at beww.org