[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 28 16:47:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:22:21AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> How about we just ask users to fill in what hardware does not work. I
> would bet that over 90% of hardware will work...

    Something that should be very prominent on the front page of the
wiki is something that addresses the basic question of "what hardware
should I run?". The hardware that's proven itself to other users should
be front and center there. Something like a "popularity contest" for
components and perhaps a "hall of shame" as well.

    The PC market has plenty of cheap crap that doesn't work well in
general and probably doesn't work well in Linux or MythTV. We definitely
want to discourage newbies away from that stuff. Best Buy used to sell
dirt cheap capture devices that I always had serious doubts about.

    I stuck with what the community seemed to like but figuring out what
that was took a little digging on my part.