[mythtv-users] Just a bit more juice Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 28 09:25:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:33:07PM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> says:
> > Or are there some other tricks for getting those x264 videos to play
> > smoothly on the P4-3ghz with 6200 video card?  (I could upgrade the
> > 6200 card to a 7xxx series card, but I doubt that would do
> > anything.)
>
> You are correct.
>
> You are also correct in that there aren't any good solutions for you
> without a wholesale upgrade. Some consolation may be found in the fact
> that your system should be able to play, with the #4653 loopfilter
> patch, 6mbps-bitrate HD-PVR h.264 recordings
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351830#351830>).

Now that I have 1394 mostly working, HD-PVR's transcoding is of
less interest, since I don't buy premium channels.   Though it
would let me switch to dish network's cheap HD package, if there
is a way to reliably change the channel.  I presume under 1394
they are transcoding an mp4 stream to mp2 which is a shame but that's
how it goes.

And of course, I prefer to play 1080 line video on my 1080 line screen.