[mythtv-users] Sony 200 disc changer

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 28 03:24:13 UTC 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:24:11AM -0800, Jeremy Palenchar wrote:
>> I have three of these waiting in the wings to bring online for my DVD
>> library.
>>

> Are they cheap now?

Mine was sitting on the floor of the office I just moved into (I work
for Sony), so it was cheap for me. :)

>  These things used to cost $400.    For $100 you can
> have a 1TB disk drive that will hold 300 to 400 dvds compressed to
> mp4,
> and about 160 DVDs as raw rips.   Is it just a matter of it being
> easier
> to load in the DVDs into this than to slowly add them, one at a
> time, as
> you think of them?

I find that some DVDs won't rip, but will play.

> I suppose a good idea might be a club.  The club buys one of these.
> You
> load in your DVD collection.  Over the next day or two it rips them
> all.
> Then you unload and mail the changer to the next guy in the club.

That sounds expensive (they weigh a LOT) and illegal.

> Now for me personally I (very close to) never watch DVDs again after
> I have seen them, but for those who like to do that, this approach
> might be better, and a lot cheaper.  Of course your new DVDs you would
> have to slot in.  I suppose if you could program hotplug to just do an
> automatic rip the moment you insert any DVD, and to do the rip in a
> way
> that you can start watching while it rips (and if you select a
> different
> track not yet ripped, it tells the rippper to immediately do that
> one.)
> That would be nice.

I have children. They watch things over and over and over again and
Disney DVDs tend not to rip. It's nice to have them select from a menu
instead of scratching them up all the time.

-Brad