[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TV less enjoyable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 28 03:11:25 UTC 2009

On 01/27/2009 08:35 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:32:00PM -0500, jarpublic wrote:
>
>> I thought this study might be of interest to the MythTV community, since
>> commercial skippings is a big part of the MythTV.
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090114-dont-touch-the-dvr-commercials-help-us-enjoy-the-show-more.html
>>
>> Apparently even though we all hate commercials, having them regular
>> interrupt our shows actually makes watching the shows a more enjoyable
>> experience. They did show that it doesn't need to be commercials, even
>> switching back and forth between two shows improves the enjoyment. Maybe it
>> is time we create a MythTV channel surfing simulator, that would switch back
>> and forth between a few different recordings. My wife would love that. ;-)
>>
> I've been a big proponent not of a channel surfing simulator (which would let
> you surf your recordings watching them from a seperate surf bookmark) but of
> something far simpler and more useful, a "last program" button, similar to
> the last channel buttons on most tv remotes.
>
> Why?  When two or more people are watching tv, often something comes up
> for one of them.  A phone call, bathroom break, snack break, whatever.
>
> So the other person wants to instantly switch to something they alone are
> watching, and then instantly switch back as soon as the other person
> returns.
>
> Right now I do this all the time, but it's a lot of keystrokes, especially
> if the program I am watching alone is far away in the list.
>
> The other alternative is to swtich over to web surfing and email, but then
> I use Myth with a keyboard, and I know many people don't.

You mean like JUMPPREV (not mapped to any key by default) does?  Or, if
not in LiveTV, like PREVCHAN (mapped to 'H' by default) does?

Sure doesn't seem like a lot of keystrokes to me.  ;)

JUMPPREV has been there for a long time (3 years, so since 0.19), but
PREVCHAN being used to accomplish the same functionality was added a
year ago (which is still before 0.21 was released).

Mike