[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 00:54:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi

Ok, I'd like to chime in with a couple things:

1) I think I'm more confused than ever why Geoff would load the driver for a
card he didn't own yet... If I've read it right he loaded the driver in
anticipation of the card's arrival? Even though there wasn't an Nvidia card
to be found?

2) In regards to the comment that the 180.22 drivers are for VDPAU-enabled
Nvidia GPUs only, I disagree.I'm running an old GeForce FX 5200 card in my
combined FE/BE - Obviously VDPAU isn't going to work but the card seems to
work just fine otherwise. dmesg | grep -i nvidia gives me:

[   10.964114] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  180.22  Tue Jan
6 09:29:08 PST 2009

I'm running a very hacked-up Mythbuntu Intrepid Ibex system with 0.21 and
QAM 1080i works without issue.