[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 27 20:24:24 UTC 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Underground utilities cost a lot more to install and maintain than
> overhead
> ones. Ask the average person if they are willing to pay more for
> their house
> to have utilities underground and guess what they will say.
>
> They can be a bear to maintain, especialy in areas where it snows a
> lot. Try
> finding one of those little  pedestals in a bunch of snowdrifts.
>
> Of course in L.A., where it rarely snows, you have to use a torch
> (american
> meaning) to kill all of the black widows in the pedestal before you
> can
> safely work.

Do you have numbers to back that up? I suspect it's expensive to
replace down wires and possible more insurance money for workers to
climb poles than to dig. I wonder if long-term there is actually cost-
savings in burying the wires where people can't easily get to them
with cars, kites, lightning, ladders, etc.

-Brad