[mythtv-users] removing cutlist and ffwd/rev

Johan Reinalda johan at global.thunderbird.edu
Tue Jan 27 17:59:53 UTC 2009

All,
We have a large number of recordings with lots of extra space before and
after shows (due to irregular starttimes on a FTA channel.)  We hand-create
cutlists for these show to not show the extra recorded sections. However,
now diskspace is starting to fill up with this extra space (currently in the
order of 75GB, due to the large number of most kids shows that we keep)

I wrote a script to find those programs with cutlists, and remove these
sections from the underlying mpg files to save drive space, using the
following commands (mostly copied from the wiki entries at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials)

mythtranscode -c <chan> -s
<starttime> --showprogress --mpeg2 --honorcutlist -k
<move temp files around>
mythcommflag -c <chan> -s <starttime> --rebuild
mythcommflag -c <chan> -s <starttime> --clearcutlist
<set database recorded entry to proper file size>

The shows now play perfectly (if you let them play), but forward/backward
behaves strangely. Eg. On a 10 min. recording, pressing fwd (set for 60
secs) most of the time goes to the end of the program. Sometimes only goes
forward a few seconds (seems to be in the first minute only)

While this is not a huge thing, I wonder if anyone has any ideas what I am
missing? My guess is, something in the 'recorded' table that still needs to
be adjusted ?

TIA,

Johan
PS I'm willing to post the script, if anyone sees a need for it.