[mythtv-users] Hardware advice requested.

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Tue Jan 27 16:11:24 UTC 2009

-----Travis Tabbal wrote: -----

>They really do mean that, not "a 9xxx card". Read the mplayer/VDPAU
>thread. It seems that supported cards are somewhat rare and it's hard
>to know if what you get will work for VC-1/VDPAU. I have yet to
>encounter much VC-1 encoded video, even online, so I haven't really
>seen a need to bother with it. If I do, and I really must play it, I
>suppose I'll transcode. Hopefully NVidia will get better support for
>it in the future. Even a partial offload would help. At the very
>least, it would be nice to be able to tell BEFORE I buy the card if
>it's supported.

There are two reasons I bought a new mother board with onboard graphics
supporting VDPAU.

1. I only had a motherboard with an AGP slot, so either had to try to find
a PCI card with support for VDPAU but there doesn't seem to many of those,
or buy a new motherboard with PCIe slot and possibly a new graphics card as
well.

2. Since it is really not known which hardware that will eventually support
VC-1 decoding and that the price difference between motherboards with and
without onboard graphics is quite small, I decided to get a motherboard
with onboard graphics that can handle H.264 which is what I am interested
in now. And if it can't handle VC-1 I just buy a separate graphics card in
the future when the status of which hardware supports it is probably known.