[mythtv-users] Hardware advice requested.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:00:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:24 AM,  <Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com> wrote:

>>it's
>>wishlist
>>>>

>>https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishLists.aspx?WishListNumb
>>er=8764445&WishListTitle=Myth%20Box%20Upgrade
>>>>

>>> This link did not work for me. It took me to my wishlist at
>>newegg...
>>>
>>> John
>>
>>I figured that if I used the email link after making it public it
>>would give me the correct public link, I guess not. They really don't
>>have a good way to get the public link so I picked one at random and
>>changed the number to mine and it seems to work now...
>>
>>http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumbe
>>r=8764445
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Richard
>>
> Why not get a motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics?
> I have an Asus M3N78-EM which seems to work quite well with VDPAU.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131354
> This is mATX, but I think this motherboard is the same but ATX:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131320

My last two motherboards were ASUS, and although I still hold this in
high regard, they both went out in 2 years. The first one was that bad
capacitor issue (brown ant hills on 8 caps) and I suspect the second
was for the same reason (one bulging cap). My current MB is a Gigabyte
with all solid caps for that reason and it's an AMD 770 chipset and I
like it a lot.

Additonally I'm currently driving my LCD via VGA because it will not
accept it's native resolution (1366x768) over HDMI, only 720p or
1080i, so with that one I would still need a video card. I like the
video card w/ all 3 types so if I get a new TV I can try all 3 and go
with what gives me the best results. Also, I wanted a 9xxx series card
for VC-1 acceleration. I'm not sure if any BlueRay disks use it in the
US but I wanted to have my bases covered.

Besides that I'm just not a fan of onboard video. No rational reason,
I just don't like it :)

Richard