[mythtv-users] Question on 8GB of RAM. Was: 32 bit or 64bit???

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 12:55:52 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
>>> That's odd.  I've got 2 AMD 64-bit systems at home at the moment,
>>> one running CentOS 5 and the other Mythbuntu/Ubuntu 8.10, and
>>> neither have this drifting clock issue.
>> Are you capturing closed captioning from the ivtv driver?
>
> Francis' point is that ntpd is meant for exactly this sort of issue,
> regardless of cause. You've mentioned ntp in the archive before, but
> many people confuse ntpd, the daemon, with ntpdate, the
> manually-set-clock-from-timeserver utility bundled with ntpd that
> people often run from a crontab or startup script in lieu of running
> ntpd.
>
> (ntpd does not sync time if the clock is off by some huge amount--I
> think 30 seconds--so I suppose it's possible that your ivtv issue
> might not let you use ntpd to fix the drift, but if that's so that's a
> huge [and bizarre] problem with the ivtv driver.)

Further to the above excellent reply, can I also ask people to remember that if
you have a number of hosts on your network that are all doing ntp queries, then
the good folks who run the ntp network might take a dim view of the multiple
queries from your one public IP address.

The way round this, if at all possible for you, is to let only your master
server (whether myth or not) query outside time sources and for all your other
hosts to sync to your master server. This has the beneficial side effect that
all your hosts are in close sync even if they drift from the outside world.

I am lucky in that the firewall software I use, pfSense, has an ntp server built
in (OpenNTPD), and I can use that internally to sync my machines. You may be
able to do something similar with your firewall appliance, but any 24/7 server
will do.

--

Mike Perkins