[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 12:44:40 UTC 2009

jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:15:58PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Perhaps true, but in the long run this drawn-out saga would probably be
>> cheaper i the long run if the government just bought satellite service for
>> these folks. How many can there be?
>
> ...better yet: encourage the large broadcast superstations to go to
> "freesat" so that all of this cable nonsense goes the way of the do-do.
> Of course we all know that the government is not going to do anything
> sensible or pro consumer or efficient.

Please, no! In the UK, we already have street after street and many blocks of
flats disfigured by Sky dishes, one per dwelling. At least cable, well 90% of
it, goes underground.

I understand the argument for satellite usage in rural areas, and I've no
complaint with that, but villages/towns/cities should have all the
infrastructure underground, whoever is running it.

It's just a shame that most cable operators on both sides of the pond seem to be
  so incompetent or just plain evil.

--

Mike Perkins