[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 27 04:21:49 UTC 2009

Rob Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Al McIntosh <al at allanmcintosh.com> wrote:
>> Am I correct that it's warning it's safe to only install NVDIA VDPAU enabled
>> driver on an NVIDIA motherboard?  Or does the mention of chipset and chip
>> refer to GPU?
>
> It's basically saying that running Nvidia GPUs mixed with other
> non-Nvidia GPUs in the same box is unsupported and doesn't work very
> well. Motherboard chipset doesn't matter.

Gee, I thought I was being clear.That's what law school does to you! Yo
become verbose, prolix and misunderstood. Or is it misunderestimated?

Normally, you can install any driver package you want and it will not
affect you ability to use a different driver of the same group, such as
a video driver.
Merely installing the 180 series NVIDIA driver screws up  your ability
to get proper video output with non-Nvidia GPU chips. The install itself
  breaks things for other GPU chips. The Nvidia 180 series driver should
only be installed when you intend to use a vdpau enabled nvidia GPU.

I found this out the hard way with the 180.08 driver. It may change but
my examination of the 180.22 package shows that it will do the same thing.

Geoff