[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 27 04:15:04 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2009 18:22:19 Al McIntosh wrote:
>> I am writing to verify if I understand the following statement taken from
>> the VDPAU MythTV wiki :
>>
>> Warning: Merely installing the nvidia driver breaks digital playback on
>> Intel (and probably any other) chipset. The nvidia installer *replaces*
>> standard header and library files with nvidia specific versions, breaking
>> OpenGL playback on other chips.
>>

>> Am I correct that it's warning it's safe to only install NVDIA VDPAU
>> enabled driver on an NVIDIA motherboard?  Or does the mention of chipset
>> and chip refer to GPU?
>
> I was confused by that quote as well, not being sure if they were referring to
> the GPU or the mobo chipset."Chipset" is a term usually used in reference to
> motherboards, though with integrated GPUs this is getting blurry.
>
> But "breaking OpenGL playback on other chips", would indicate to me that they
> are talking about the GPU chip, because "playback" happens there, not on the
> mobo, and "chip" is a term most often used for CPUs and GPUs.
>
> I would think that any standards-compliant mobo would work, it shouldn't make
> any difference if you are using VDPAU or not, as long as it passes data to
> the GPU. Actually VDPAU should put less demand on the transfer of data.
>
> Certainly a clarification would be helpful, especially if I'm wrong.

Just to be a absolutely clear: when I wrote that, by 'chipset' I meant GPU.

Just installing an nvidia 180 series driver package, but continueing to
use the intel driver, completely killed any advanced playback for me,
due to the change in the header files. I had to use the vesa driver to
get stable output, and ended up re-installing the system.
YMMV.

Geoff