[mythtv-users] Hardware advice requested.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 03:23:42 UTC 2009

Well I'm getting a little tired of the pauses and general
unresponsiveness of my current combined FE/BE. It's done well
considering I put it together mostly from stuff I had around but it's
time to do it right. To make it easy to see I setup a public wishlist
on newegg.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishLists.aspx?WishListNumber=8764445&WishListTitle=Myth%20Box%20Upgrade

I have two MB's in there and can't decide between the two. The 770 is
cheaper and probably plenty good enough. I'm a bit worried about the
northbridge heat sink on the 790X interfering with the large passive
cooler on the back of the video card I picked out.

Speaking of the videocard I wanted something somewhat future proofed,
especially with VDAPU coming.  The one I picked is interesting because
not only is it passivly cooled, but has VGA, DVI, and HDMI output.

The HD is only going to be the system drive (OS, database, videos,
music, pictures). I've already got a 500GB in my existing system
dedicated to recordings.

Although I would like a media center type case at some point my
current entertainment center makes it easy to hide a tower case so I
figured I'd save some money over the very expensive media cases. I use
a firewire external enclosure for the DVD drive so that's the only
part anyone sees. I currently have an Antec for my desktop computer
and really like it. Especially the transverse mounted HDDs which makes
it easy to add/modify/remove them without bumping into any system
components. The 500W power supply is overkill I'm sure but I just
liked that case and it's at a good price.

I have 1GB of memory now (in my current system and the same in DDR2
available for the new one) and I'm not swapping much so I'm not sure
about spending the cash for 2GB.

I'd appreciate comments/suggestions in case I missed something.

Thanks,
Richard