[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 27 01:52:53 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 18:22:19 Al McIntosh wrote:
> I am writing to verify if I understand the following statement taken from
> the VDPAU MythTV wiki :
>
> Warning: Merely installing the nvidia driver breaks digital playback on
> Intel (and probably any other) chipset. The nvidia installer *replaces*
> standard header and library files with nvidia specific versions, breaking
> OpenGL playback on other chips.
>

> Am I correct that it's warning it's safe to only install NVDIA VDPAU
> enabled driver on an NVIDIA motherboard?  Or does the mention of chipset
> and chip refer to GPU?

I was confused by that quote as well, not being sure if they were referring to
the GPU or the mobo chipset."Chipset" is a term usually used in reference to
motherboards, though with integrated GPUs this is getting blurry.

But "breaking OpenGL playback on other chips", would indicate to me that they
are talking about the GPU chip, because "playback" happens there, not on the
mobo, and "chip" is a term most often used for CPUs and GPUs.

I would think that any standards-compliant mobo would work, it shouldn't make
any difference if you are using VDPAU or not, as long as it passes data to
the GPU. Actually VDPAU should put less demand on the transfer of data.

Certainly a clarification would be helpful, especially if I'm wrong.

--
beww
beww at beww.org