[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

Al McIntosh al at allanmcintosh.com
Tue Jan 27 01:22:19 UTC 2009

I am writing to verify if I understand the following statement taken from
the VDPAU MythTV wiki :

Warning: Merely installing the nvidia driver breaks digital playback on
Intel (and probably any other) chipset. The nvidia installer *replaces*
standard header and library files with nvidia specific versions, breaking
OpenGL playback on other chips.

Am I correct that it's warning it's safe to only install NVDIA VDPAU enabled
driver on an NVIDIA motherboard?  Or does the mention of chipset and chip
refer to GPU?

I currently use a Geforce 8500 GT exclusively on a K9AGM2, an ATI based,
motherboard. I have zero intention of using the on board ATI graphics card.

Thanks,

Al