[mythtv-users] Mythtv removing individual capture card, was: HDHomerun problem timeout scanning channels -- no tables

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 26 21:06:45 UTC 2009

On 01/26/2009 04:00 PM, jk90090 wrote:
> Overall I'd say this method is complete non-intuitive.  Heck, the
> whole mythtv-setup is rather non-intuitive.  I find myself using
> mythweb or SQL directly to fix f-ups in the configuration, which just
> plain sucks.  Of particular frustration is using OTA *and* QAM
> simultaneously.  Setting up QAM is just so user-unfriendly that I have
> neglected to reattempt setup since my last database cleanup.  I know I
> should shut up, and just start adding a helping hand to the coding
> effort, if only I could find the extra time....

You can't write code that adds information that's missing from the
stream your cable company is providing.  If the cable co doesn't give us
a good channel name, there's /no/ possible way Myth can automatically
link that channel to a Schedules Direct channel ID (which is what you're
putting into the xmltvid field when you set up QAM channels).

So, at least you don't have to feel guilty about not adding a helping
hand.  Instead, you just need to make sure you place the blame squarely
on your cable co's shoulders, not Myth's.

Mike