[mythtv-users] asus M3A78-EM

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Mon Jan 26 18:14:55 UTC 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> I haven't found it to be a problem. I just put extra RAM in and
> assign however much to the video chip. My most recent FE box is an
> Asus M3N78-VM with 2GB RAM total, 512M assigned to video. I'm using
> VDPAU (mplayer) for playback of HD h264 video, 1080p up to 15Mbit/s
> and it's working great. I'm on Myth .21-fixes, so no VDPAU in Myth,
> but all Myth recordings are MPEG2 ATSC, so I can use CPU for
> playback. I'm using HDMI for video out, but analog sterreo for sound
> as this TV doesn't have a surround amp available. HDMI video worked
> perfectly, I didn't have to even mess with Xorg.conf like I did for
> component out on the main FE machine (also onboard video with shared
> RAM).

Travis, I am using that exact same board (M3N78-VM). The only problem
I had initially was the HDMI audio but got that working. I had a
question for you, did you update your bios to get the 512M assigned to
the video? I found the max I could do was 256M. Also, I have a
hissing / high pitch popping noise coming from around the cpu /
capacitor area when I playback video or do anything really intensive.
Have you noticed that? It is where the square black inductors and
capacitors are. I don't know if it normal or something defective. Like
I said, does not happen idle, only high cpu usage.

- James