[mythtv-users] Passively cooled ATI Gigabyte HD4550 (GV-R455D3-512I) vs NVIDIA ASUS EN9600GT

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 26 15:49:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 08:36:43 ryan patterson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Adam Stylinski <kungfujesus06 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > except Nvidia continues to break compatibility with every new driver
> > they write.  Ever since version 13x.xxish XvMC has not worked while
> > simultaneously using GART drivers.  So basically if you want to utilize
> > the AGP bus while having your video GPU accelerated, you're SOL and have
> > to buy a spanking new PCI-Ex based board and card.
>
> If you insist on using an AGP video card then just use the old drivers
> that work correctly.  AGP is outdated period.  Next you are going to
> complain that nvidia's drivers don't support VESA local bus graphics
> cards?

They Don't !!! ???

On my gosh, just as I was thinking of upgrading my 486 to a PCI Pentium board.

But the poster made a point, there is a lot of AGP gear out there, and
upgrading means a new graphics card, as well as a new motherboard, and if you
are using socket 939 stuff it also means a new CPU, and new RAM. Not a cheap
prospect.

--
beww
beww at beww.org