[mythtv-users] Storage Groups and Slave BE

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Jan 26 13:58:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 13:05 -0500, James Crow wrote:
> I have my master FE/BE machine running very well. I also have a separate
> FE and I use my main desktop (with full-ATX case) to hold extra drives
> shared out over NFS. All has been working well.
>
> I now want to add extra tuners to my desktop and turn it into a slave
> BE. I also will no longer need the NFS mount because the NFS server will
> be a BE. What is the best way to reconfigure my system to keep access to
> the recordings, but remove the NFS from the master BE and just add the
> drive to the slave BE?
>
> Thanks,
> James

After a little poking around in the database, it seems the only place
where the recording filename and host is stored is the recorded table. I
decided to update things just the hostname for the recordings stored on
the NFS directory I wanted to remove from the master BE storage group.
The first thing I did was to backup my db. Then I removed the directory
from the storage group on the master BE. Once that was complete I
stopped the BE and ran a shell loop to update the recordings in the DB.

for i in *.mpg *.nuv; do mysql -h 192.168.1.2 -u mythtv -pmythtv
mythconverg -e "UPDATE recorded SET hostname='slaveBE' WHERE basename =
'$i'"; done

After starting the BE and checking its log I see nothing amiss. I will
check this evening to make sure all my recordings are viewable from the
FE.

Cheers,
James