[mythtv-users] Q about users and priveleges...?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 01:59:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> "The MySQL user account you use to connect to the MythTV database (and
> whose details appear in mysql.txt) is separate to the Linux user
> account you run mythbackend/mythfrontend as."
>
> So, just add a user 'sudo adduser myuser' and then add the mysql.txt file
> into the .mythtv folder as well as make sure that user has been added to the
> DB (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu-8.10_Source_Install)
>
> mysql -u root -p
> create database mythconverg;
> set password for 'myuser'@'%' = password('myuser');
> set password for 'myuser'@'localhost' = password('myuser');
> flush privileges;
>
> and that will allow me to continue to run the backend/frontend as my
> "regular" user without problem.
>
> Are there reasons for making them the same?

I'll reiterate one problem that I have posted about before, which
results from mythbuntu running backend and frontend as different
users:

* mythbuntu runs the backend as user mythtv and the frontend as the
user you create on installation (in my case 'nick'). When you set up
the grabber in mythtv-setup, it puts the config file in
/home/nick/.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv (where nick is the user and Freeview
is the video source name you allocated). The trouble is that the
backend running as mythtv does not look in nick's home directory, it
looks in its own, ending up with an error 512 (FAILED: xmltv returned
error code 512.) when mythfilldatabase is run.

The solution was a simple symlink.