[mythtv-users] Q about users and priveleges...?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 01:10:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 25, 2009, at 3:35 PM, A JM wrote:
>>
>> I'm a bit confused about the users and priveleges associated with Myth.
>>
>> Do I specifically have to have a Mythtv user? Hopefully someone can shed
>> some light on users and Myth for me.
>>
>> No. You don't have to have a user specifically for it, but lots of people
>> do it and most pre-built distributions with mythtv come with its own mythtv
>> user.
>> Just make sure the user that runs mythbackend has appropriate permissions
>> for everything is needs access to like capture cards and file systems and
>> then make sure the user that's running the frontend has appropriate access
>> to play back the media you want to see.
>> -Brad

> Thanks Brad, I'm doing a fresh install on Ubuntu and did not compile as the
> Mythtv user I did it as my regular user so I'm wondering what kind of
> problems that is going to create?
>
> Like when creating the mysql.txt in .mythtv it wants a password - well I
> don't want to put in the password of the user I installed Myth with as that
> would give access to root if comprimised...
>
> Since I've installed as my "regular" user (not sure what to call it) when I
> start mythbackend won't that user need access to the DB? so that kind of
> creates a problem,,, yes/no?

Did you say you compiled on ubuntu? May I ask why when there are
reasonable packages for ubuntu (including -fixes and -trunk)?

mythbuntu (ie the packages) is slightly crazy in that it runs the
backend as the mythtv user but runs the frontend as the user you set
up during installation (in my case, nick, cos I'm original like that).

This does lead to some confusion in some of mythtv's functionality.
Not sure if the problems have been fixed from 8.04, they certainly
existed then.

However the password mythtv is asking for is for acces to mysql, not
access to the user's system account.