[mythtv-users] Problems testing my card.

Eppo Eppleston eppo120 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 01:08:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Batshua bat Yehonatan <batshua at gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't yet reached the point where I can even configure the mythbackend
> properly.  Doesn't scanning for channels come in later, at that step?
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Eppo Eppleston <eppo120 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
>> cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

>>> Incorrect statement.  ATSC includes both QAM and 8VSB (which is the OTA
>>> encoding).  You probably mean that he doesn't want to scan for 8VSB, but for
>>> QAM instead.
>>>
>>> But, I cannot find any information from the OP (except his vague ATSC
>>> reference) on *where* he is on order to advise him on possible protocols to
>>> check for....
>>>
>>>  If you do want to scan for cable channels, try bypassing your converter
>>>>

>>> Do we know what the output of his convert box is?  Analog or digital?
>>> (Is he trying to plug an analog input into a digital encoder card?)
>>> If his cable is encoded, is it worth trying to scan it directly for
>>> channels?  It will tell him which channels are available, and also which are
>>> encoded.
>>>
>>> If he is scanning for channels at the output of his convert box, he won't
>>> find any (will he?)  What *is* the output of his converter box?
>>> (Sorry, I'm repeating myself.)
>>>

>> i dont think you want to scan for channels. you want to fetch channel
>> listings.

i'm not sure about every other configuration you can have. but if you are
getting your signal from the cablebox, that is what i'm doing. i use an
irblaster to change the channels. so in mythtv-setup, you would fetch the
channel listings. that is the point i thought you were at. i'm sorry if this
is not your problem, and i might have confused you.