[mythtv-users] Q about users and priveleges...?

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 00:24:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2009, at 3:35 PM, A JM wrote:
>
> I'm a bit confused about the users and priveleges associated with Myth.
>
> Do I specifically have to have a Mythtv user? Hopefully someone can shed
> some light on users and Myth for me.
>

> No. You don't have to have a user specifically for it, but lots of people
> do it and most pre-built distributions with mythtv come with its own mythtv
> user.
> Just make sure the user that runs mythbackend has appropriate permissions
> for everything is needs access to like capture cards and file systems and
> then make sure the user that's running the frontend has appropriate access
> to play back the media you want to see.
>
> -Brad

Thanks Brad, I'm doing a fresh install on Ubuntu and did not compile as the
Mythtv user I did it as my regular user so I'm wondering what kind of
problems that is going to create?

Like when creating the mysql.txt in .mythtv it wants a password - well I
don't want to put in the password of the user I installed Myth with as that
would give access to root if comprimised...

Since I've installed as my "regular" user (not sure what to call it) when I
start mythbackend won't that user need access to the DB? so that kind of
creates a problem,,, yes/no?