[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Allan Stirling dibblah.allan.stirling at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:12:05 UTC 2009

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Allan Stirling wrote:
>> The patch in 19705 had nothing really to do with EIT parsing. It was
>> in the handling of freeing memory for NITs and SDTs.
>>
>> Have you actually tried disabling EIT?
>
> It was my misunderstanding/miscommunication then.
> I throw EIT and NIT/SDT (?) on the same heap in my unfamiliarity. ('just
> another packet...')
> I ran the backend without EIT when I found out about the 'eats memory'
> issue.
>
>> Myth actually has some support for increased buffers to work around
>> increased latency caused by valgrind:
>> ./configure --enable-valgrind --compile-type=profile
>>
>> Can you please try these on your production system, for a short (4
>> hour) run?
>
> Does building with these options cause issues for a normal run?
> If not I could add these options by default for my next build.

It shouldn't do - All it does is increases the timeouts and
associated buffers, as far as I know.

I would suggest building this copy of Myth in a seperate
prefix, if you are uncertain. For the backend, just
configuring with --prefix=/usr/local/mythtest, compiling and
installing then running /usr/local/mythtest/bin/mythbackend
instead of your usual backend process should isolate this
environment. Obviously, this does not isolate the database,
however, you made backups, right...? ;)

>> I would suggest that without DVB cards matching your production
>> system, a test system will not reproduce this leak.
>
> Is the driver for the card causing the leak you mean?
> Or is the data handed over from the card to the backend causing this?
> Please explain.

The data from your provider combined with your particular
use-case is probably causing the leak, since it is not seen
on many (if any) other systems.

>> It may also be valuable to back up your database and try current trunk.
>
> I ran trunk for a long while but was then cursed^H^H^H^H^H^Hasked to try
> -fixes only to find that -fixes had the same issues.
> So I am still on fixes beause -fixes also provides me with multirec and
> other features  which wasn't the case in the past.

It is, of course, up to you. I was just suggesting options.

Cheers,

Allan.