[mythtv-users] hdpvr recording o byte files

Eppo Eppleston eppo120 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 22:34:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM, john <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two very early models: a "rev c1" and a "rev c2".  The c1 was the
> very first version, and does not have any cooling at all.  The c2 is the c1
> with a fan added to it.  I have had the c1 for over seven months and the c2
> for almost 6.  In that time I have had to power-cycle them (to fix a
> recording problem) a total 5 times.  They have been very reliable.
>
> While Myth's support is still in flux, it has also been very reliable for
> recording.  There are occasional issues with playback, but recording is
> solid.  I have missed recording from time to time, but it has never been
> because of Myth's HD-PVR module -- mythbackend occasionally goes out to
> lunch for other reasons.
>
> I am running Myth trunk from around two weeks ago.  I believe I am running
> firmware 1.035.  I am using the linux HD-PVR driver from a couple of months
> ago, but I don't think much has changed since then.
>
> My point is, that while it is possible there is a problem in myth, it is
> not likely.
>
> I do remember people having trouble with their USB ports.  You may want to
> try plugging the HD-PVR into a different USB port.  If you have other USB
> devices, you may want to try unplugging them, to make sure they are somehow
> not interfering with the HD-PVR.
>
> What else is happing when the recording fails?  Is the CPU or disk under
> heavy load?  The HD-PVR recorder makes use of Myth's input ringbuffer, but
> that will only save a recording for a few seconds of heavy load.  You can
> increase the size of the ringbuffer by upping the value defined in
> mythtv-setup (be careful not to run out of RAM).
>
> Of course, make sure you have applied the patches recommended on the wiki.
>
> Good luck.
>

> John

its good to speak with someone that has experience with the HDPVR. ok, first
thing is the firmware, all i did was hook it up to a windows box, and
install the software, and i used to to configure it and capture some video
to test it. do i need to upgrade the firmware?

also, i thought those patches were currently incorporated into the current
build?
if not, what is the command to apply the patch? and you apply it before you
run configure/make?
hopefully that info should help out.