[mythtv-users] asus M3A78-EM

Rob Rosenfeld rob+mythtv-users at rosenfeld.to
Sun Jan 25 21:05:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> sourcing parts to build a new fe/backend, and came across this board,
> looks like all i need and cheap to boot.  does anyone have experience
> with this board? looking for info more specifically regarding
> functionality of optical audio, hdmi or dvi. will be using a phenom
> 9550, and ubuntu 8.10. seems to be mixed linux reviews for this board on
> the site, some say everything is fine, others say stay away from it.
> wont be using the onboard ati video.  have an nvidia card.  thanks for
> the input.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324

If you're not using the onboard video, you probably can't use the
onboard HDMI.  If you want to use HDMI for video and audio you should
check that your video card and mobo have the right headers for putting
the audio out the video card's HDMI jack.

There is an Asus M3N78-VM with onboard nvidia for about the same
price.  I've had a bit of trouble getting the HDMI audio (there are
many threads on HDMI audio on the board) going, but it works now.