[mythtv-users] Moving data/myth setup to different machine - howto?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 25 19:14:33 UTC 2009

On 01/25/2009 11:50 AM, Comments wrote:
> I want to migrate my existing install of myth - all the currently
> recorded shows and the current database settings/content to an entirely
> new machine.  Or that's what it boils down to:
>
> This is what's actually happening - I have all myth recorded shows on a
> separate partition.  This machine is currently running openSUSE 10.3 and
> I want to reinstall using opensuse 11.1.  However, I want to preserve my
> current settings, data, etc.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  Is there a way to backup all settings,
> install the new OS, and restore?  The data partition will not be touched
> during the upgrade but everything else (including the old mythTV
> installation) will be replaced.

Backup DB ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ),
install new OS (and use the /exact/ same hostname--if you don't, you
only make your life a /lot/ harder), then restore the database (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_the_most-recent_backup_file
).

Mike