[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Jan 25 19:05:32 UTC 2009

George Mari wrote:
> Sure, there were some people who no longer could get their TV signal.
> But these articles are talking about "hundreds" of people having
> trouble, and about a call per minute coming in to the special hotline
> that was setup to handle people having problems.
OTOH, Hawaii only represents 0.42% of the total population of the U.S.
So when the whole country switches we can expect hundreds of thousands
of people to have trouble.  I expect this will be concentrated in states
with high rural populations.

I really feel like the issue of fringe areas wasn't given enough thought
when digital TV was planned.  Analog signals have the benefit of
degrading much more gracefully than digital ones do.