[mythtv-users] MythVideo Error: "Top level can't become selected child"

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Jan 25 02:06:15 UTC 2009

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:08:04 am Greg Grotsky wrote:
>> I've found a most useful feature in mythvideo, in "tree mode" (which I
>> use
>> exclusively) it will remember your last selected video and return there
>> when you re-enter mythvideo.  However, this feature was recently broken
>> when I updated to trunk.  Now when I enter mythvideo I always have the
>> same
>> video selected and the only thing that the frontend says is "Top level
>> can't become selected child".  What does that mean?
>>
>> I am quite sure that the error is due to the feature because when I
>> disable
>> the feature, the error message goes away and the video tree starts at
>> the
>> top.
>
> (Filling in for Brad)
>
> Longer answer - this question really belongs on the mythtv dev list,
> probably
> submitted as a bug report. Additionally you should be subscribed to dev-
> commits.
>
> The issue may well be already on the dev list and being taken care of. The
> user list is *only* for release issues and general myth help.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

The user list is for the USE of MythTV - the dev list is for developers to
discuss bugs and their solutions, new features and their implementation.
Reproduceable bugs (and anything else requiring a change to the codebase)
go onto a ticket and end up on the commit list.

If I'm running trunk and have a question about how to use a feature (for
example if I want to help in the testing) and am not sure what is supposed
to happen under a particular circumstance, then I come to the user list -
because I'm using it, not reporting backtraces, hangs, segfaults etc.

Its not always clear that I will have gained that information from either
of the dev or commit lists (which I have followed for the last 4 years)
since very often changes are described by WHAT was done, not by WHY it was
done and its resultant interface changes.

Anyone who thinks that the source (unless properly commented) is the sole
arbiter obviously hasn't been writing software for over 30 years as I
have...

--
Robin Gilks