[mythtv-users] NUVexport problems

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Jan 23 22:48:02 UTC 2009

Axel Thimm wrote:
> My humble opinon is that nuxexport is an upstream project and should
> not depend on downstream packaging. This isn't just about caring about
> ATrpms' users, but opensuse/ubuntu/debian/mandriva/gentoo etc. as well.

Yes.  But it's also a LOT of work to try to figure out which version of
ffmpeg is being used.  They no longer release "versions", just svn
snapshots, and the revision number is not always present in the --help
info (usually only when the packager remembers to put it in) so I have
to then build a way in to detect what's changed, etc...

Plus, I'm also often in a position where I don't know what the commands
mean, etc.  I've even considered just dropping ffmpeg/transcode support
and moving entirely to mencoder, but I don't use the current mencoder
modules, don't know enough about its options, and honestly don't have
enough time these days.

> You dont have to really "use" ATrpms to test the patch, as the
> packaging allows to you to install ATrpms' ffmpeg/transcode, do the
> tests/fixes you need and then immediately revert back to any packaged
> version you like. Or you could install a manually built copy under
> /usr/local and later nuke it.

Nothing personal, but I've been burned too many times by atrpms package
dependencies blowing away core fedora or other 3rd-party packages.  I'm
also quite sure that atrpms and rpmfusion packages would not go well
together, and I don't have a development environment for mythtv that I
can easily just reinstall if something gets messed up (my wife would
kill me if the mythbox went down for a day or two).

I used to just build my own ffmpeg packages to keep up to date, but have
been too busy with work/life/schedulesdirect to get much work at all
done on mythtv stuff.  Things may eventually slow down so I have time to
devote to it again, but it's just low on my priority list.

-Chris