[mythtv-users] Passively cooled ATI Gigabyte HD4550 (GV-R455D3-512I) vs NVIDIA ASUS EN9600GT

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:13:57 UTC 2009

Well, it appears AMD/ATI are just not trying very hard.  ATI drivers
suck, NVIDIA doesn't suck as bad.  I started this testing because my
previous ATI card, while it worked perfectly fine, was only outputing on
RGB and had a rather load fan for my living room silence.  I first
purchased the HD4550, figuring that the ATI drivers were solid and
hopefully would be for the newer card... wrong.  I ended up having to
switch from the HD4550 passive cooled card to an NVIDIA 9600GT passive
cooled card, ASUS EN9600GT, because I could not get video sync without
tearing.  Sad ATI/AMD.  I used the HDMI out on the Gigabyte card, and it
worked, but again I could not hold vsync/hsync/whatever.  It made it
miserable to watch.  Nvidia's drivers worked without any tuning, and I'm
using the DVI-HDMI converter.  Interestingly, the ATI card had a
slightly larger display area on my Samsung 52" LCD compared to the
Gigabyte, while the Gigabyte has a better initial color depth.  NVidia's
driver used to really suck, but it appears they have made significant
improvements.

Just thought I'd share my silent card mini-review.

-JK