[mythtv-users] Installing WinTV-HVR-1600 tuner card for MythTV

Quinten Steenhuis q.steenhuis at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 21:08:10 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

George, one potentially obvious answer here is that you need to uncompress the source file first, before you can change into the directory. It's also possible that you didn't correctly check out the source, because at least the version control software I'm familiar with doesn't usually download a tar file, but downloads an uncompressed directory tree. Perhaps it was just a typo as someone else suggested? (mistaking l for 1).

Try tar xjvf v4l.... if you really did mean to download a compressed source file to a knoppmyth directory (but again, this seems unlikely).

I hope this doesn't sound rude because it really isn't meant to be (and I'm still a beginner with Mythtv stuff myself), but you may want to brush up a bit more on linux/unix basics before you tackle something so potentially complex. To start, one useful command in linux is "man", which can give you information about the commands that you're blindly typing. E.g., "man cd" or "man tar".

If you understand what you're doing and what the different options you typed in mean, it's easier to troubleshoot problems by yourself.  I generally find the manual to be more useful than google. If you rely on your system's configuration being exactly like that of whoever typed up the instructions, you're bound to have some problems once in a while.

And you don't need to be logged in as root to download a file into your home directory, but you do if you are elsewhere in your filesystem tree. You didn't say what directory you were in when you tried typing the hg command to download the source, but you may want to try it again in your home directory.